Tigers down unlucky Reds Nottingham Forest
9:02am Mon Apr 23, 2012
Hull City 2 (Gunter (og) 58, Fryatt (pen) 81) Nottingham Forest 1 (Majewski 90)
Chris Gunter was the unfortunate man at the KC Stadium on Saturday as his own goal was followed by a Matty Fryatt penalty - leading Nottingham Forest to defeat in their final away game of the season.

The game told the story of Forest’s season with many chances falling their way throughout the game but a lack of clinical finishing in front of goal.

However, the Reds did get a consolation goal late on through Radoslaw Majewski, but it was not enough to stop the Tigers winning their third consecutive game at home.

The opening stages mirrored the fact that both sides had nothing to play for in the game. With the Reds already safe and Hull just missing out on a play-off position the two sides looked content to slow down the pace.

Andy Reid was first to set up a chance for the visitors when the veteran midfielder found space down the left before finding a ball to winger Paul Anderson – the former Swansea man dived in with a header but fired wide of the target.

Lewis McGugan also came close shortly after when the ball fell to the dangerous midfield man following a corner - but his shot from outside the box was saved well by Hull City keeper Vito Mannone.

Chances were few and far between in the first period and the closest the hosts came was when former Manchester United youngster Corry Evans struck a powerful volley over the bar from 25-yards just before the break.

The second half began well for the away side who got straight on the attack – on loan Manchester City defender Greg Cunningham got down the left before squaring the ball to Majewski whose shot was too tame to trouble Mannone.

And Polish midfielder Majewski missed a chance after Reid got away from his man and the ball fell for the midfielder to get a shot in - however Mannone got down to his left and grasped the ball well.

But it was the home side that took a surprise lead just before the hour mark when defender Liam Rosenior got forward down the right before hitting a long range effort that hit the foot of the post before rebounding in off the helpless Gunter.

Immediately after Steve Cotterill’s men should of equalised when Gunter, looking to make up for his own goal, played a ball into the box that fizzled through to Anderson – however the winger struck his shot across the face of goal and wide.

And the misery was piled on the Reds when Hull were awarded a penalty after Luke Chambers bundled over centre-back James Chester as they fought for the same ball. Former Leicester City striker Fryatt stepped up to score past Reds keeper Lee Camp, putting the ball straight down the centre.

In the final minute the travelling supporters did get something to cheer about when the Reds fired in a consolation as Gunter got forward before pinging the ball back to Majewski who slotted into the roof of the net.

The Reds finish their season at home to Portsmouth on Saturday 28th April. Steve Cotterill’s former side have already been relegated and Forest will look to finish their season with a win. Kick-off is at 12:30pm.

Leave a comment:

Email address:

Re-type Email:




Disclaimer | Website Designed and Maintained by Advertiser Web Services

The Newark Advertiser Co Ltd website and the contents of its pages are © Advertiser Media Group, Unit 9 & 10 Halifax Court, Fernwood Business Park, Cross Lane, Newark, Notts, NG24 3JP. Reproduction in any form, printing or downloading of part or all of the contents is forbidden without specific written authorisation from the company. No part of contents of the Newark Advertiser Co Ltd website may be reproduced on or transmitted to or stored in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.