What was making the news in the Newark Advertiser in 1924, 1974 and 1999
The Advertiser has opened its archives to see what was making the news 25, 50 and 100 years ago.
Does it bring back any memories?
25 years ago – January 22, 1999
ABOVE: It may have been Ron Atkinson’s first game in charge of Nottingham Forest but there was no one prouder in the City Ground than the club’s mascot for the day, ten-year-old Jamie Burgess from Balderton.
Jamie saw his favourites go down 1-0 to double winners Arsenal but even that didn’t spoil his big day.
• A massive mopping-up operation was under way in Lowdham after dozens of homes were hit by a flash flood.
Muddy water swept into homes in and around Station Road and Main Road after rainfall poured from the hillsides and into the Dover Beck, which overflowed.
• A piece of Newark’s retailing history was being dismantled as workmen stripped fittings from the Warkton Shoe shop in Baldertongate.
The shop, opened in 1926 by Mr Albert Lewin, the grandfather of the present owner, sold stout footwear to generations of Newark people.
Shop owner Mr Roy Lewin said: “It is another little private business gone from the town but it has become too much for me to cope with.”
• Newark Town Council has banned its mayor from smoking in the mayor’s parlour.
Smoking will now be allowed only in the town hall bar and the ballroom as part of its controlled smoking policy.
• Newark Town Council make take part in the next Newarks of the World reunion in Texas – without actually leaving the town hall.
The council is considering using the latest computer technology to join the reunion via internet or video conferencing link.
50 years ago – January 26, 1974
ABOVE: A wave and a cheer for the directors of Worthington-Simpson Ltd, Newark, who provided a party for employees’ children at Newark Town Hall.
After tea, the 228 youngsters played games and were entertained by a magician. A break for ice cream was followed by a film show and a fancy dress competition.
The evening ended with the distribution of presents.
• Newark MP Mr Ted Bishop made a determined attack on the recent record of Mr Ted Heath when speaking at a meeting of the General and Municipal Workers in Newark.
“What have my Newark constituents done to deserve the punishment they are getting from Mr Heath?” he asked. “Even his local Tories have given up making excuses for him and create bogies to provide diversions.”
• The General Electricity Board revealed that Staythorpe A Power Station has been closed until coal supplies improve.
Staythorpe B is producing two-thirds of its normal output.
A spokesman explained that the closure was due to the fact as much coal as possible was being sent to the newest power stations that were equipped to use it more efficiently.
• Making Newark’s schools comprehensive could prove a rough ride for Notts director of Education Mr James Stone, who faced insults and jibes at a public meeting to discuss the scheme.
More than 1,500 parents and teachers attended the meeting in Newark’s Sconce Hill School to listen to the plans described by Mr Stone.
• The 18th electronic exchange to be provided in the Nottingham Telephone Area will be brought into service at Southwell.
The new exchange building, which will be on The Ropewalk, cost £22,000 and the equipment £144,300.
Initially, it will have capacity for 2,000 subscribers. Southwell numbers will be prefixed by 81 and become a six-figure number.
100 years ago – January 23, 1924
• Motorists passing through Newark on the Great North Road now have their path brightened by the additional lighting provided at Beaumond Cross.
A new electric lamp made its appearance last week and thus the historic cross has its modern attendant.
The lamp, which is suspended on a cable from the Town Club premises to Mr Masding’s shop throws a light on to the police officer on point duty, and bears the word ‘danger’ in red on its four sides.
• A little sunshine was brought to the lives of the old folk at the Workhouse Infirmary when they were entertained to tea by Mr and Mrs J. C. Kew and Mr and Mrs Constable Curtis.
The good things provided were greatly enjoyed by those who could assemble in the dining hall and those who had to keep to their beds.
After tea, a much enjoyed concert was given.
• Mr J. Mather, of Newark, has announced that he will give away 500 woollen scarves to an equal number of deserving cripples, poor women and men in Newark or a radius of seven miles.
Applications should be sent to the vicar. Mr Mather has a list put would like to see more, especially cripples, who he again intends to take out on a excursion this summer.
• The annual social evening held by the Southwell branch of Women’s Institutes took place in the Trebeck Hall.
The hall was tastefully decorated, streamers hung from wall to wall and bunting in profusion made the scene a pretty one.
The social is a popular event and many members and friends attended. A splendid programme had been arranged and the evening passed pleasantly.
• For the convenience of their customers at a distance, Messrs Jno H. Smith and Co, chemists of Newark, are giving special attention to orders received by post.
Send cash with the order and they will send the goods and change, if any, by return.