Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Newark: At least 10 caravans pull onto Traveller site in Balderton with permission for only two




At least ten caravans have pulled onto a Traveller site with permission for only two.

Two-year temporary permission for the two caravans on Main Street, Balderton, was granted by Newark and Sherwood District Council's planning committee on Tuesday last week.

However, at least another eight have been seen and pictured entering and exiting the site.

Pictures of the site taken this morning (Monday, June 7). (47941710)
Pictures of the site taken this morning (Monday, June 7). (47941710)

The planning committee warned the applicant any additional caravans on the land could be removed by enforcement.

Despite temporary permission being granted, there was still concern from some councillors.

Planning member Robert Crowe said: "I have been picking my granddaughter up from the school bus in Balderton since the lockdown virtually finished and, from the May 17 through to now, there have been seven caravans on this site.

"If they can't stick to it now, what the heck chance have we got. I'm sorry but I think we should not give approval to anything for this caravan site again until this is sorted."

Fellow member Laurence Goff said: "The council has a duty of care and the only way we're going to get this problem resolved is to have premises for these people who want to live their way of life.

"We have to try to engage with the people and do what is best for everybody."

Newark and Sherwood District Council planning enforcement officers are to inspect the site this afternoon (Monday).



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More