Home   News   Article

Burglar was caught on camera

By Advertiser Reporter

Rebecca Kidson
Rebecca Kidson

A mother-of-four who stole from a man who suffered from dementia was caught by security cameras installed at his home to catch the person responsible.

Rebecca Kidson, 30, of Yorke Drive, Newark, was jailed at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday.

She was caught on CCTV burgling the Newark property four days after being bailed with a condition to stay away from the address, ahead of sentencing for an earlier burglary there.

Kidson admitted burglary on October 11 and stealing cash and cigarettes.

She denied a second charge of burglary at the same address on the same day. Judge Nigel Godsmark said that charge should lie on file.

The judge also sentenced Kidson for burglary at the same address on September 26, two Bail Act charges and failure to attend a drugs appointment, which she admitted; and assault and intimidation of a witness, which she had denied but been convicted of at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court.

She was sent to prison for a total of two years and five months.

“You have a troubled history and a troubled past,” said the judge.

“You have been given many opportunities by the courts and now face a situation where there is a custodial sentence.”

'Being 30 is a turning point of her life'

The judge imposed a restraining order ruling that she must not contact the burglary victim and must stay away from the Millgate area of Newark.

Prosecutor Mr Noel Philo said Kidson was a regular visitor to the home of the victim, who was a heavy drinker and suffered from early dementia.

Mr Philo said the victim’s cleaner had encouraged him to protect his home with CCTV, which provided the evidence for the burglary on September 26.

On October 11, four days after being bailed awaiting sentence for that offence, Kidson was seen on camera again entering the property and stealing cigarettes and money.

Mr Digby Johnson, defending, said Kidson accepted she had visited the victim over several weeks and months.

He said it had got to the point where he had started to be generous and give her money and, in return, she had sometimes done some cleaning for him.

“As her drug addition developed she accepted she took money without permission,” he said.

Mr Johnson said Kidson had struggled to cope with life. She had managed to stay afloat but on Christmas Day the father of her children died and she had started to fall apart.

She was drinking and using heroin and crack cocaine.

Mr Johnson said that since being remanded in custody she had been prescribed methadone and was co-operating well.

“Being 30 is a turning point of her life,” he said. “Her prison sentence will be a turning point too.”

Mr Johnson said Kidson had decided that when she was released from prison she would leave Newark to make a new start.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More