Newark's National Civil War Centre battles back from lockdown as part of government's roadmap to covid recovery
One of Newark and Sherwood’s very own national treasures is to open its doors again for the first time this year after England moves into step 3 of the government’s roadmap out of lockdown.
From Wednesday, May 19, the National Civil War Centre on Appletongate will be welcoming visitors back to discover how the world turned upside down for our 17th century ancestors as well as exploring the history of Newark itself across two Newark Museum galleries.
The museum’s team, along with Newark and Sherwood District Council officers, worked hard last year to ensure that the family-friendly venue was fully covid-secure and these measures have been maintained and updated to ensure the current guidelines are thoroughly fulfilled.
Established last July, a one-way route through the museum maximises the opportunity for social distancing. To allow for this, two galleries on the top floor have been temporarily closed and some hands-on interactives removed.
However, additional exhibits and information have been added alongside a new trail launched in 2020 that highlights some of the museum’s most fascinating objects as it guides visitors around the museum.
Due to the slight reduction in gallery space, visitors can take advantage of half price admission upon reopening, an ideal opportunity to explore this fantastic local treasure which will be open from Wednesday to Saturday, from 10am to 3pm.
David Lloyd, leader of Newark and Sherwood District Council, said: “This is a great chance to get out of the house and enjoy a brilliant day out in Newark’s town centre.
"With people now being able to visit from further afield and even stay overnight in hotels and B&Bs from the 17th, hopefully this will encourage more visitors to come back to the area and discover all that is has to offer as well as inspiring our residents to make the most of what is available on their doorstep.”
To ensure social distancing, the museum is reopening with a maximum capacity in place. Entry will be by timed slots which should preferably be booked in advance online at www.nationalcivilwarcentre.com.
Visitors will be expected to follow the government’s current regulations on meeting other households indoors as well as safety guidance on site. Hand sanitiser stations, which come alongside themed Civil War trivia, are spaced throughout the building and the museum will undergo a daily deep clean as well as hourly cleans throughout the day.
Prospective visitors can find a video detailing the new museum experience at www.nationalcivilwarcentre.com/visit
Business manager for the National Civil War Centre, Carys Coulton-Jones, said: “Our team have worked really hard to put visitor safety as well as enjoyment together as top priorities and to ensure that we still offer a fantastic and fascinating experience.
"We can’t wait to welcome visitors back to explore this incredible and hugely important period in history as well as to uncover more about the amazing town in which we live.”
There are plans for the centre’s much-loved school holiday activities to return next half term too.
A museum trail themed around their Knit A Battlefield initiative is set to delight families from Saturday May 29 to Sunday June 6.
Children will be able to hunt for knitted soldiers hiding in object cases and complete a challenge sheet assembling their army to defend the town.
The museum’s gift shop has already reopened as a non-essential retailer while the popular on-site Café Nineteen20 will also open from the 19th offering coffees and snacks.