Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Newark and Sherwood District Council in Nottinghamshire to install CCTV to target anti-social behaviour from youths

A district council has responded after graffiti tagging, people entering private property without permission, and intimidating behaviour against residents took place.

One resident who did not want to be named due to fear of reprisals said that youths were to blame and likened the situation to the novel, Lord of the Flies.

The reckless behaviour has been occurring around the Newark Town Lock area near Riverside Park and has prompted action from authorities.

Newark and Sherwood District Council have pledged CCTV in the area being affected by anti-social behaviour.
Newark and Sherwood District Council have pledged CCTV in the area being affected by anti-social behaviour.

Paul Taylor, the Portfolio Holder for Public Protection and Community Relations at Newark and Sherwood District Council, said: “Following multiple reports of anti-social behaviour occurring around the Swan and Salmon Pub in Newark, we have been working with the business to identify those responsible and deter them from accessing the site.

"Certain individuals have been issued with Enforcement Warning letters. "Our Community Protection Team and the Police Beat team carry out regular patrols of the area.

"During the reported period we increased these with our Community Protection Officers conducting additional targeted patrols.

"Following this, we have received positive feedback and a decrease in incidents reported.

"We will be installing a new CCTV camera in that area which will deter further anti-social behaviour in the future, and we will be reaching out to local businesses and residents before that installation.

“We are committed to tackling anti-social behaviour but it is vital that residents report incidents when they occur.

"Please always report incidents of anti-social behaviour, whether you are the victim or a witness, directly via official channels only.

"You can also report anti-social behaviour issues via the District Council website and also anonymously on www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

"If you are reporting urgent cases, call the Police on 999 or non-urgent cases to 101.

"I am aware that, on occasions, complaints have been made on social media which are not always logged as official reports and therefore cannot be investigated."

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More