Home   News   Article

Death of Collingham family ruled as accidental


By Connor Thompson


A mother and her two children died following an accidental fire, an inquest heard today (June 12).

Senior Coroner for Nottinghamshire, Ms Mairin Casey, ruled that Justine Collison, 32, and her two children, Isabella, aged eight, and Harvey, aged five, died from smoke inhalation during a fire at their Collingham home on Woodhill Road on December 15 2018.

Firefighters from Collingham and Newark Fire Stations were called to the property shortly after 7am to find the house well alight.

From left to right... Justine Collison, Isabella Collison, Harvey Collison, and Gavin Collison. Picture taken from Facebook. (12239266)
From left to right... Justine Collison, Isabella Collison, Harvey Collison, and Gavin Collison. Picture taken from Facebook. (12239266)

The fire was determined as starting in the conservatory, but due to the significant damage caused, it was impossible to say for certain what started the fire.

Returning her conclusion of accidental death, said: “I join with many others today in expressing my deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Justine, Isabella and Harvey whose lives were tragically cut short.

“Thanks to a thorough investigation by both Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service and Nottinghamshire Police I can record a verdict of accidental death.”

Area Manager, Damien West said: “I speak for the whole of Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service when I say that our thoughts go out to the family and friends of Justine, Isabella and Harvey.

"They tragically lost their lives in a house fire at their home on Woodhill Road, Collingham last year.

“I hope that the findings of this inquest will bring some closure to all concerned, but we must not let this tragedy be in vain. It is vital that we continue to raise the awareness of fire safety to avoid further incidents.

“I would ask everyone to ensure that their families, friends and neighbours have working smoke alarms, a plan of what to do in an emergency and a night-time routine to turn off electrics and close internal doors”

“I would finally like to thank all the staff who attended this incident from beginning to end, their contribution cannot be overstated. All corners of the Service volunteered to go out into the community in the days following the incident to provide reassurance and advice.”



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More