Dispersal order in Newark town centre has positive impact, claims Nottinghamshire Police and Newark and Sherwood District Council
A dispersal order that was placed in Newark town centre after reports of a number of antisocial behaviour incidents has made an impact.
Local neighbourhood officers worked closely with the local authority and youth workers following concerns raised by Newark Town Council on Friday (November 13).
The order was put in place for 48-hours with a dedicated antisocial behaviour policing strategy last weekend.
Thirteen directions to leave notices were issued, with four people stopped and searched, while multiple people were engaged with and advised about the dispersal order and covid-19 regulations.
Neighbourhood Inspector Heather Sutton, district commander for Newark and Sherwood, said: "On Friday and Saturday there were a number of individuals who attempted to cause trouble in the area, however officers were quickly on hand to prevent things from escalating.
“The numbers were drastically reduced from the previous days and we'd like to thank the vast majority for staying out of the area following last week's incidents.
“We are listening to concerns from the community and where appropriate have taken a robust approach by banning 13 individuals for the town centre.
“It’s a difficult time for many and the lack of diversionary activity is putting pressure on some families.
"On Sunday there were no reports of any youths congregating.
"We believe the word had got out that officers were in the area hence why things quietened down.
"There were no further incidents in Newark town centre, however we did receive multiple antisocial behaviour incidents in Hawtonville with several people stopped and returned home with the relevant warnings and parents involved.
“We are aware that a dispersal order can cause displacement to other areas, hence ensuring antisocial behaviour patrols took place at those locations as well.
"Officers worked closely with youth workers who operated on the streets over the weekend.
"They were able to begin positive interactions whilst maintaining social distancing measures.
"We would like to thank them for their efforts in reminding young people of the government’s guidelines in creative ways.
"With their input they were able to discuss any wellbeing issues with those out on the streets and also sign posting them to youth services’ social media pages where appropriate.
"Regarding this upcoming weekend, we will continue to monitor the situation, work with our partners and decide on any further appropriate action to take."
David Lloyd, leader of Newark and Sherwood District Council, said: “Following some of the appalling incidents last week, we fully supported our police colleagues with the dispersal order into the weekend and our officers were also on hand to ensure that this anti-social behaviour was dealt with.
“The actions by these individuals were unacceptable and extremely distressing for members of our community.
"Serious injury could have been caused and we will not tolerate it.
"I urge parents to be vigilant and to check on where their children are, as well as educating them on the current national restrictions.
"We will do everything it takes to make sure our residents feel safe and want to reassure residents that we will make no hesitation in prosecuting anyone who is causing trouble on our streets.”