Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Nottinghamshire Police make double arrest after high-speed chase through Newark

More news, no ads


Officers were involved in a high-speed pursuit after a driver was clocked going around 100mph in a 30mph zone in Newark.

Police were out on patrol in the area when they spotted a car driving over the speed limit on Beacon Hill Road.

After attempting to stop the vehicle, a short pursuit then took place after a driver sped away from police.

Police (7946260)
Police (7946260)

The car sustained damage in the chase before coming to a stop a few minutes later at the junction of Millgate and Southfield Terrace.

Suspected drugs and an offensive weapon were then seized from the car by officers.

Nobody was injured in the incident, which took place at around 10.25pm on Wednesday.

A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and failing to stop.

Police also arrested a 16-year-old boy on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon and possession of a class A drug.

Both suspects have been released on bail while inquiries continue.

Inspector Matt Ward, district commander for Newark and Sherwood, said: “For obvious reasons, the force treats all reports we receive of dangerous driving extremely seriously.

“Keeping people safe in our communities is our number one priority and this ambition extends to our roads, where we do regular patrols to help ensure nobody is put at risk of harm.

“It should go without saying but there is never an excuse for any road user to ever drive in a way that could put others in danger.

“Thanks to the professionalism and skill of officers from the roads policing unit, road crime team and local resources, we were able to bring the car to a halt in this case without anyone sustaining any injuries.

"This and other recent events are making it clear that Newark and Sherwood is not the place for those who use vehicles to commit crime.

“We have arrested two suspects in connection with this incident but our inquiries are still ongoing, so we’d ask anyone with any information or dash-cam footage that could assist us to get in touch by calling 101, quoting incident 855 of June 15.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More