Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Newark and Sherwood District Council urges residents to use electric bikes safely after number of injuries and fatalities





A council is urging residents to use electric bikes and electric scooters safely amid concerns over a rise in fatalities, injuries and fire damage.

A recent report from Electrical Safety First has revealed that in the first three months of 2023 four individuals have died, and others have been left seriously injured or hospitalised as a result of fires caused by the lithium-ion batteries that power electric bikes and scooters.

Paul Taylor, portfolio holder for public protection and community relations at Newark and Sherwood District Council, said: “Electric bikes and scooters are becoming more and more popular, and it is vital that residents understand how to use them and store them safely. We know many users are young people and it is important that whilst everyone enjoys using them, they are equipped with the knowledge to do so safely.

E-bike batteries can pose a fire risk if not handled safely.
E-bike batteries can pose a fire risk if not handled safely.

“When the batteries powering these bikes and scooters fail, they have the potential to release a huge amount of energy, similar to that of a firework, and it is not hard to see how a number of these incidents have already ended in heart-breaking fatalities.”

The council warns that residents should be aware of the potential risks when buying an e-bike or e-scooter and should always:

•Buy your e-bike or e-scooter from a reputable retailer that you know and trust.

•If you need a replacement charger or battery, get it from the original manufacturer — fake or substandard chargers can cause fires.

•Avoid buying from market stalls, or from third-party sellers on online marketplaces. There is no guarantee the product has been through product safety testing.

When charging an e-scooter you should:

•Follow the manufacturer’s charging instructions.

•Once charged, unplug the charger — so you don’t leave the battery on a continuous charge.

•Avoid charging overnight. Fires occurring at night, when people are sleeping, are particularly dangerous as your reaction time is massively reduced.

•Don’t charge your e-bike or e-scooter in an exit route like a hallway, landing or stairwell. If a fire breaks out it can block your ability to escape.

•Charge batteries in a safe place from a socket that is RCD protected and in an area with working smoke alarms.

•Charge preferably, outside in an enclosed space like a detached garage, shed or a designated charging area for high rise flats.

•Avoid charging batteries in strong sunlight or anywhere there is a high temperature or flammable materials.

If you plan to modify your e-scooter or bike always go to a reputable retailer and have it fitted by a professional and don’t try to modify your battery pack yourself as these modifications can cause fires.

Fires are caused when a battery cell overheats, potentially due to an internal fault, physical or electrical abuse, or extreme temperatures. This eventually causes the battery to become unstable and results in the release of flammable and toxic gases, fire and explosion.

Discarded, lithium-ion batteries and battery-operated devices should be disposed of at household waste recycling centres, e-waste collection points or battery-recycling drop-off locations. Batteries of any sort should never be disposed of in residential bins.

Dan Palmer, district prevention manager of Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We are unfortunately seeing a rise of incidents that are caused by lithium-ion batteries, not only in Nottinghamshire, but all over the UK.

“If lithium-ion batteries are not handled and cared for correctly, they can be extremely dangerous and behave in a volatile manner having devastating effects.

“Please follow the safety advice that has been issued — do not charge batteries overnight, always use the chargers provided and do not tamper with batteries.

“Finally, we want to remind you how important it is to have working smoke alarms on every level of your home. They should be tested regularly and replaced every ten years. Having working smoke alarms gives you vital time in an emergency, and subsequently, they do save lives.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More