Newark: Elderly woman's life saved by alarm system after fire broke out at home in Bleasby
An elderly woman's life was saved by her alarm system after a fire broke out at her home last night.
Several crews were called out to the woman's home in Bleasby at around 11.53pm, and spent two hours containing the fire.
The blaze had been started by coal fire embers that were placed in a wheelie bin, eventually spreading to the roof of the property.
Fortunately, the woman had been awoken by a telephone call alerted by her alarm system — and a neighbour helped her get out of the house safely.
Group manager Tom Archer said: “The lady was woken up by her telecare system, which rang her and got her out of bed. Then, she was escorted out by her designated contact — a neighbour.
"I’m sure that we would have been dealing with a far more serious incident if it had not been for the system.
"Thankfully, the lady is safe and well and I would like to encourage other older or vulnerable people to consider installing one of these systems. We also offer personalised home safety advice for vulnerable people.”
The fire service has now warned others to ensure ashes from open fires or stoves are completely cold before putting them in the bin.
Fire safety information for older people is available on Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service's website at buff.ly/2LJVBTz
For information about telecare monitoring systems, visit www.tsa-voice.org.uk/support-at-home/