Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

GoFundMe fundraiser set up for “fun-loving” Newark alliance side Rutland Arms Rovers player who suffered severe head injuries in attack

A fundraising page has been set up for a “fun-loving lad” who suffered severe head injuries after he was attacked.

Bobby Lee, 31, suffered a fractured skull and three bleeds on the brain as a result of an attack on April 16, in the area of Castlegate and East Street, in Grantham.

He went on to receive “life-saving” craniectomy surgery at Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham, where a portion of his skull was removed to relieve pressure on the brain.

GJ bobby leeBobby Lee (left) with his mum Joanne.
GJ bobby leeBobby Lee (left) with his mum Joanne.

Lee plays for Newark Alliance side Rutland Arms Rovers who were recently runners-up in the Pat Jepson Memorial Trophy to Farnsfield Villa and have recently been promoted to the competition's Premier Division next season.

"We would like to give a big shout out to our brother Bobby Lee who is currently in Queen’s Medical Centre recovering," said Neil Reilly, the manager of Rutland Arms Rovers after Pat Jepson match.

The manager of Farnsfield Villa, Simon Ratcliffe passed on his side's well wishes to Lee saying they hoped he makes a speedy recovery.

His friend of 15 years, Jack Whyley, has set up a GoFundMe page to help with his recovery care and provide extra financial support.

Jack was “devastated” when he heard the news of the attack on his friend.

He said: “It’s hard to get my head round. My heart goes out to his family for having to go through this.

“Bobby is a fun-loving lad, passionate about football and a well-known character.

“He is part of a loving family and a hard-working man, the life and soul of the party.”

Jack hopes to raise £15,000 through the fundraiser and any money raised will be “crucial” in “supporting his long road to recovery”.

He added: “Bobby will be out of work for a long time so the added financial support will go a long way.”

The assault bears similarities to an attack on another Grantham man last year.

Nathan Ford-Pain was hit over the head with a bottle in the early hours of October 1, while walking home with his girlfriend and a friend.

He was taken to Queen's Medical Centre, where he also underwent a life-saving operation, and was discharged three weeks later.

His mother, Sandy Ford-Pain, commented on the attack on Bobby on the Journal’s social media pages.

She said: “It is so wrong! I hope and pray he pulls through and is able to start his long to path to recovery.”

Lincolnshire Police’s investigations are ongoing and no one has been arrested so far.

In a previous statement, a force spokesperson said: “We are looking for witnesses to this incident or anyone who has CCTV or dashcam footage of the area at around the time this took place."

Anyone with information should call Grantham CID on the non-emergency 101 number and quote incident number 120 of April 18.

Anyone who would like to donate to the fundraiser can do so at: https://www.gofundme.com/f/gfgs7-bobby-lee

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More