Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Residents and business owners in the Newark and Sherwood District Council area can apply for grants funded by the UK government

Residents and businesses affected by flooding can now apply for grants two weeks after Storm Henk flooding.

The UK government is funding the grants through the Flood Recovery Framework.

A £500 grant is available for any household where the living accommodation has been flooded or the home has been left uninhabitable, for example where utilities have been cut off.

Flooding on Farndon Road, Newark.
Flooding on Farndon Road, Newark.

Some households may be eligible for the Council Tax Discount scheme, in which they will be given a 100% discount on their Council Tax for at least 3 months.

Nottinghamshire County Council are also offering affected households a £120 one-off hardship payment.

“Following on from Storm Babet, our residents and businesses once again face real hardship as a result of flooding after Storm Henk,” said Councillor Paul Peacock, leader of Newark and Sherwood District Council.

He added: “The extent of the flooding this time has seen communities not previously affected being hit hard, and those who were recovering from the damage resulting from Storm Babet being hit again by this storm.

“Our officers have been working to try and help all of our communities, providing emergency food and rest centres where required. I am hugely proud of how our teams have worked with local communities to help them where possible.”

Newark and Sherwood District Council has created an online form for residents whose homes have been affected to complete through their website or by visiting: www.newark sherwooddc.gov.uk/flooding/.

Flooding at The Riverside pub, Farndon.
Flooding at The Riverside pub, Farndon.

All these payments can be applied for through the same online form or, if getting online is a problem, by calling Newark and Sherwood District Council on 01636 650 000 from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, for support.

Affected Businesses are entitled to financial support as well and can apply through www.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/flooding/.

There are three different schemes available to affected businesses, which include business rates relief scheme, business recovery grant and Nottinghamshire County Council hardship grant.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More