Plenty of period charm as 17th Century house near Newark town centre joins the market at £699,950 through Richard Watkinson and Partners
A fine Grade II listed early 17th Century house near Newark town centre is on the market for offers in the region of £699,950 through Richard Watkinson and Partners.
Shalem House, at The Friary, off Appletongate, is on the market, for the first time in more than 40 years and is described as one of the finest, most interesting properties in Newark.
It has the use of managed gardens within the historic stone walled Friary complex.
On the ground floor is the reception hall, an office previously used as a fourth bedroom, dining room, inner hall, snug, 18ft by 13ft kitchen/breakfast room, lower reception with a Victorian influence, utility room and cloak room.
A winding open tread staircase leads to a galleried landing, off which is the principal bedroom suite with shower room.
A winding corridor leads to the magnificent upper reception with stone fireplace inscribed 1635, shuttered mullion windows, a vaulted ceiling and Bolection molded wall panels in the fireplace recess.
Also off the galleried landing — in the Victorian wing — is a double bedroom, single bedroom and shower room.
The property has south-facing, private, walled garden areas, a garage and domestic outbuildings.
The Friary is on the site of a vanished house of Observant Friars, circa 1507, and then the Austin Friars, circa 1554.
In The Buildings Of England, Nicholas Pevsner describes the property as 17th Century in its earlier part, remodelled in 1770 with further alterations between 1868 and 1877.
The house is in part blue lias stone with Victorian part-built in brick under a tiled roof.