New memorial bench to be unveiled by former Air Chief Marshal in Langar
A new memorial bench to 207 Squadron will be unveiled on Saturday, November 9, by former Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Pulford in the churchyard of St Andrew’s, Langar.
The bench, made by a local craftsman, replaces one that was installed in 1994 when a memorial to the squadron was also erected at the entrance to Langar Airfield and a book of remembrance placed in the south aisle of St Andrew’s.
Between September 21, 1942, and October 13 of the following year, 207 Squadron, one of the RAF’s major Bomber Command units, was based at Langar airfield.
During this time the squadron flew numerous missions over Germany and Italy and the memorials commemorate the 251 members of that squadron who lost their lives on these missions.
Funding for the bench had been provided by donations from residents and the Keyworth Branch of the Royal Air Force Association, as well as assistance from Nottinghamshire County Council, Rushcliffe Borough Council and Langar-cum-Barnstone Parish Council.
The unveiling will be attended by representatives from these organisations as well as Granby, Barnstone and District branch of the Royal British Legion, of which Sir Andrew Pulford is branch president.