Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Newark Traveller who shot uncle in the back after family feud jailed at Nottingham Crown Court

More news, no ads


A man who shot his uncle in the back after a family feud has been locked up.

Jeremiah Price was one of five members of the Price family who carried out the assault on their relative, which started with a physical assault before escalating to a machete attack and a gun shot.

Jeremiah Price went on the run with his brother Abraham Price for four months after the shooting but were finally caught.

Nottinghamshire Police. (51928704)
Nottinghamshire Police. (51928704)

Resources including a police helicopter were deployed as officers closed in on the pair who had fled to Carrington, Manchester.

They tried to escape by jumping into a fast-flowing river but both were arrested on October 20, 2020.

Jeremiah Price, 25, of Manchester Road, Carrington, Manchester, went on to plead guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Nottingham Crown Court. (26069545)
Nottingham Crown Court. (26069545)

He was jailed for a total of nine years when he appeared at Nottingham Crown Court yesterday (Monday) for sentencing.

He shot his 39-year-old uncle in the back after his father, Rudolph Price, had an argument with him over business interests and a fight was arranged to settle matters.

It led to the victim being confronted by five members of his family — his brother Rudolph and his nephews Jeremiah, Abraham, Danny Price and Samson Price, outside his home in Newark, on the afternoon of June 17, 2020.

The victim was assaulted by Rudolph before Abraham swung a machete at him, hitting him on his arm and back.

Jeremiah then shot his uncle in the back with a shotgun.

Other people who were at the scene managed to pull the attackers off the victim before he was taken to hospital by one of his other brothers.

Abraham Price, 26, of Tolney Lane, Newark, admitted grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of an offensive weapon. He was handed a nine-year sentence.

Rudolph Price, 51, of Tolney Lane, Newark, also admitted grievous bodily harm with intent and was given a sentence of nine years and six months.

Danny Price, 23, of Tolney Lane, Newark, admitted wounding with intent. He was handed a sentence of nine years and six months.

Samson Price, 18, of Tolney Lane, Newark, pleaded guilty to affray. He was sentenced to 14 months in prison, suspended for 21 months, and ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid work.

Detective Inspector Gayle Hart, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Thankfully incidents involving firearms in Nottinghamshire are very rare but this was a shocking act of violence.

“The victim thought he was going to die and was very fortunate not to have been even more seriously injured.

“I want to re-assure people that Nottinghamshire Police treats all reports involving firearms and violence extremely seriously and will relentlessly pursue those involved in such acts of violence.

“I would also like to pay tribute to the professionalism and dedication of officers, staff and police departments who worked on this complex case and whose tireless work resulted in us locating offenders and bringing them to justice.”

Also as part of the wider police operation 44-year-old Thomas Hallissey, of Tolney Lane, Newark, was sentenced to four years after pleading guilty to one count of witness intimidation.

The court heard he was alleged to have gone to the victim's address and was filmed making threats to kill the victim and his family, which was posted on social media, the court heard.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More