Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Pictures reveal extent of fire damage to Nottinghamshire County Council headquarters at County Hall



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


Newly released pictures from inside County Hall have revealed the damaged caused by the blaze.

The fire was deemed accidental, caused by an electrical fault, after a full investigation by Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The fire ripped through council offices, leaving the building severely damaged.
The fire ripped through council offices, leaving the building severely damaged.

The blaze, on July 28, ripped through council offices on the first floor of the building, including the office of Councillor Neil Clarke, and eventually spread over four floors ­— but was prevented from spreading to evacuation routes thanks to fire doors.

Watch Manager Tim Marston carried out the fire investigation alongside Station Manager Jim Dykes.

Tim said: "The fire has been attributed to an accidental electrical cause, leading to the overheating of a lighting fixture and adjacent wiring within the ceiling void on the first floor of the building.

"The fact that the affected floor had well-fitting automatic fire doors, that functioned correctly, is a testimo,ny as to why the most severe fire and radiated heat damage was contained to one area, leaving adjacent stairwells clear to aid evacuation."

The inside of County Hall has suffered fire, smoke and water damage.
The inside of County Hall has suffered fire, smoke and water damage.

At the height of the incident 12 fire engines and two aerial ladder platforms were in attendance, with Nottinghamshire county councillors and staff evacuated from the building.

Fire doors prevented the blaze from reaching stairwells and evacuation routes.
Fire doors prevented the blaze from reaching stairwells and evacuation routes.
The fire at County Hall began on the first floor, but spread to the second, third and fourth floors.
The fire at County Hall began on the first floor, but spread to the second, third and fourth floors.

Staff were told to either work from home or from alternative buildings while the clean-up takes place, after the fire service confirmed the historic building suffered fire, smoke and water damage.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More