Staff of Minster View children's home, Southwell, that permanently closed despite council assurances otherwise will not be made redundant
Staff of a children's home that was recently closed for good despite assurances to the contrary will not be made redundant, a council has confirmed.
Children with learning disabilities were moved out of Minster View children's home, Southwell, in November 2020 due to an emerging picture the care was not always of the best quality.
In December 2021, Nottinghamshire County Council agreed the facility would close due to what was described as an institutional feel.
The county council has confirmed there will be no redundancies as part of the permanent closure as many staff who worked at Minster View had already temporarily taken up roles within the sector.
On January 17, the children and young people’s committee will be asked to approve the disestablishment of a number of jobs from the children's home.
If approved, from April 30, 2022, the roles of five managers, 21 residential social care workers, six residential care workers, cooks, domestic assistants, and a laundry assistant will be scrapped.
Council papers state the closure and the disestablishment of roles leave £1,685,000 a year for re-investment.
The funds will be used in part to purchase four more two-bed children’s homes — one of which will be at Hagg Farm Cottage, near Ilkeston.
A committee will also be asked to approve 44 new roles for West View Children’s Home, Mansfield, and two new two-bed children’s homes in the county.
West View has been earmarked as suitable for replacing Minster View as a four-bedroom home by April 2022.
The current provision at West View will then be replaced with two smaller homes for children with histories of experiencing trauma.
The home will then aim to mirror that of the former Minster View home, taking in children with learning disabilities, autistic spectrum disorder and additional complex behaviours.
Any vacant posts not filled by former Minster View staff will be recruited externally.
Around £1.4m will also go towards staffing and running costs for the two new two-bed children’s homes — one has been purchased and a second has been identified.
Both homes are expected to be run by not-for-profit company Homes2Inspire.
Tracey Taylor, chair of the children and young people’s committee, said: “The closure of Minster View will allow us to look at re-investing those savings into delivering a residential estate, which will provide suitable accommodation to house children and young people, some of whom have complex needs and require the best possible care.
“What we want is our children to feel at home where they live and having a portfolio of two-bedroom homes, which are fit for purpose, will help us to achieve that vision.”
Plans for children’s homes in Nottinghamshire
West View, Mansfield — It is proposed the four-bedroom home mirrors that of the former Minster View home, taking in children with learning disabilities, autistic spectrum disorder and additional complex behaviours
New home 1 — Purchased and will be run by Homes2Inspire. It is said to open imminently
New home 2 — Property identified and under offer. Upon opening this home will be run by Homes2Inspire
New homes 3 and 4 — Two smaller homes proposed to replace the current statement of purpose of West View
New Home 5 — Proposed to be Hagg Farm Cottage, Ilkeston
New Home 6 — Location and operating model to be decided