Home   News   Article

Family warn of dangers leaving clothes in tumble dryer after house fire on Lincoln Road




A family are warning of the dangers of leaving clothes in a tumble dryer after their house caught fire and left them homeless.

Donna Broadley, of Lincoln Road, Newark, was at the airport ready to go on holiday to Poland when she got a call to say her house was on fire.

“I came home straight away after the phone call and I am still in shock,” she said.

Reunited after a house fire. Left to right: Neighbour Emma Smithson, her son Joseph Smithson, rescuer Rafae Strzeceec, and Donna Broadley and her daughter Georgie Mcgowan whose home was affected. 061118DC2-1
Reunited after a house fire. Left to right: Neighbour Emma Smithson, her son Joseph Smithson, rescuer Rafae Strzeceec, and Donna Broadley and her daughter Georgie Mcgowan whose home was affected. 061118DC2-1

“I just want to make people aware of what happened and to warn against leaving clothes in a tumble dryer over night.”

The fire was caused by internal combustion as a result of leaving damp but hot tea towels in the tumble dryer overnight.

Donna said: “I left the door open because the tea towels were really hot but that let the oxygen get in.”

She paid to tribute to those who alerted the emergency services ­— shift workers on their way home from their jobs at the Knowhow distribution centre.

“If it wasn’t for the men from Knowhow I wouldn’t have a house to go back to so I want to say a big thank you to them for being so brave,” she said.

Donna’s next door neighbour Emma Smithson was there when it happened.

“I heard a banging on my door and someone was shouting fire,” she said.

Four workers from Knowhow were on the way home when they spotted the fire at around 7am and broke in and saved Donna’s family pets.

Emma said: “They were so brave, they went in and because of them two of the dogs are still here and Donna still has a house.”

One of the men, Rafae Strzeceec said he only did what anyone else would do.

“When I saw the fire I said to my mate what can we do? I am glad no one was inside,” he said.

Donna said: “They really were amazing.

“We have three dogs and they’d all be gone if it was not for the guys from Knowhow."

The family is currently split up living with different people until they can find somewhere to rent.

It could be up to a year before they are able to go back to their home.

Donna said: “I’ve lost so much.

“We’ve got no beds, or furniture.

“Most of it was ruined by the fire.

“We lost a lot of personal stuff too that was in the loft. Lots of baby photos that we can never get back.

“I’m just so grateful to the men who saved half of my house and my neighbour’s house because it could all have gone if they hadn’t spotted it and done something.”

Fire crews from Newark and Collingham attended the scene of the fire at 7.17am.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and crews used two hose reels and a short extension ladder to tackle the blaze.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More