Home   Sport   Article

Southwell City lost to Bingham Town in the Nottinghamshire Senior League Premier Division

By Connor Thompson

For a second successive year Southwell City have left Bingham Town’s Butt Field empty handed.

After suffering a 6-1 defeat against Bingham last season, the Samba Nottinghamshire Senior League Premier Division leaders lost 3-1 as the mid-table side pulled off a shock home win.

The defeat means Southwell are now just one point ahead of second place Cotsgrave, who have played two more games than City, but the danger lies with third place Stapleford Town, who can over take the division’s top side should they win their two games in hand.

Calum Law was at the centre of the drama as he scored for both sides on Saturday (5132342)
Calum Law was at the centre of the drama as he scored for both sides on Saturday (5132342)

Anthony Brown, Morgan Shevlin and Ieuan Plume returned to the starting eleven but that did not prevent a poor start from City as they found themselves 1-0 down after 16 minutes through Calum Law’s own goal.

Southwell’s start went from bad to worse when the referee Peter Craggs awarded Bingham a free-kick after City keeper Ryan Fletcher handled the ball outside of the area.

The hosts made the most of the controversial decision and doubled their advantage from the resulting free-kick as Lewis Ray flicked home Tom Spencer’s lofted ball.

Spencer, who provided the assist for Bingham’s second then fired his side’s third of the half.

Bingham’s keeper joined City’s Robert Haigh and Blair Bryant in the referee’s book as he was shown a yellow card for time wasting at the end of the half.

In the 62nd, minute Law atoned for his earlier error by pulling one back as a comeback beckoned.

Five minutes later Christopher Bowles’ corner fell to the unmarked Law, who glanced his header just over the bar.

On Saturday City welcome 10th place Attenborough to the Memorial Ground, while 11th placed Bingham host strugglers Calverton Miners Welfare.

Other Premier Division sides were also in action and a Goran Seymour hat-trick and a brace from Scott Litchfield helped Keyworth United on their way to a 6-1 win over Radcliffe Olympic.

Dwayne Ngandi fired Olympic’s consolation as his side dropped to 13th.

Aslockton and Orston won 3-0 at Gedling Southbank thanks to two goals from striker Rares Demeter.

Cole Maule was also on the scores sheet for Aslockton.

In Division Two of the Notts Senior League, Newark Flowserve Reserves won 5-1 at Ravenshead Reserves.

Leighton Nicholson and Alex Hales both struck twice, while a Ryan Broxholme solo effort provided the fifth.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More