Home   Sport   Article

Newark Town part ways with Dewey Chappel after 11-0 defeat to Renishaw Rangers in Central Midlands League

By Connor Thompson

Newark Town reached the nadir of its ongoing woes as they lost 11-0 to an in-form Renishaw Rangers side in the Central Midlands League North Division, reports Jim Todd.

The double-digits defeat exceeded Town’s previous worst ever loss in their 15 years in the CMFL when the Blues went down to a 10-0 defeat at a windswept and rainy Holbrook Sports.

The defeat saw Town part ways with manager, Dewey Chappell, who had taken over as first team manager during the 2017-18 season.

Rhys Stanley was Newark Town's stand-out performer in their loss to Renishaw Rangers (5674432)
Rhys Stanley was Newark Town's stand-out performer in their loss to Renishaw Rangers (5674432)

The club praised the efforts of Chappell, who had blooded many young players into the team during his tenure.

The club highlighted their results were not improving sufficiently and a new direction and impetus was required for the remainder of the season.

On Saturday, another heavily rotated squad was put together and saw six changes from the team which had played at Dinnington the week before.

However, Town suffered the worst possible start and their much-changed side found themselves three down after 21 minutes as they struggled to cope with the home side’s right winger, whose crosses led to all three goals.

A positional change saw Rhys Stanley switch to right midfield and Town had a good spell as his crosses saw several half chances created.

That was before the home side went further ahead as a direct free kick beat the wall and went into the bottom corner.

Town’s situation worsened further on the stroke of half-time when James Handley was deemed to be the last man when his tackle brought down a Renishaw player and he received a red card.

Town’s ten men started the second-half gamely, but the floodgates opened in the last 30 minutes as the their defence could not get to grips with the right side of Renishaw’s attack.

Two good late saves from keeper Josh Desforges kept the score from getting even worse.

Town now face a run of three away games, the first of those (December 8) will see the Blues take on Thorne Colliery.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More