Home   Sport   Article

Close bouts for fighters at second home show

By Warwick Lane

Fighters from Newark Amateur Boxing Club after the show.
Fighters from Newark Amateur Boxing Club after the show.

Enthusiastic fans raised the roof at Farndon Memorial Hall as Newark Amateur Boxing Club staged its second home show.

After last-minute pull-outs because of illness and a clash with the Haringey Box Cup, NABC Home Show 2 had been in doubt.

However, it went ahead and Dean Sugden, head coach at Suggy’s Gym, where the club is based, said everyone contributed to the night.

“In 18 years of promoting events in Newark, this was the most challenging yet,” Sugden said.

“A great team effort by everyone managed to save the show and, with the exception of Adam Robb, all of the home boxers got a run-out and put in incredible performances in close contests.

“We were all gutted for Adam as he has shown some big improvements since the first Home Show in February and we were looking forward to him having the opportunity to showcase that to his home crowd.

“There was a great atmosphere throughout the evening with family, friends and fans turning out in force to support their local boxers, and we ended the night on a high.

“Unfortunately, some close decisions did not go our way but it just proves that, even when it is your own show, sometimes you do not get the rub of the green.”

There were mixed results for eight home fighters.

Megan Williams lands a shot against Georgia Klein.
Megan Williams lands a shot against Georgia Klein.

Originally scheduled to fight at the halfway point of the card, Megan Williams had to wait until the end to take her place in the ring after her opponent, Georgia Klein, of Manor Boxing Academy, was delayed.

It was worth the wait, however, as Williams took control against an who had defeated her on a previous occasion

Klein had the experience of 20 bouts, but Williams was fast, using her boxing skills and ringcraft to win the three rounds on all three judges’ scorecards.

As well as the unanimous win, Williams was named boxer of the night.

Megan Williams was crowned boxer of the night.
Megan Williams was crowned boxer of the night.

Opening the show, Deivids Paulauskas took control and showed good defensive moments in his skills bout with Shahroz Raja, of Peterborough Police Boxing Club.

The well-supported Alfie Briggs-Price showed big improvements in his head movement and defence, controlling his bout in a unanimous win over Bobby Dixon, of Grantham ABC.

When his scheduled opponent pulled out on the day, minors national champion Sam Hardy had to settle for what turned out to be a fine skills bout.

Hardy showed fast combinations to the body and head, going through the gears against Peterborough Police Boxing Club’s Alfie Baker, who he had beaten in the national final a few weeks earlier.

Mac O’Brian showed courage and determination to stay with the more experienced Evan Clarke-Roberts, of Rainworth And Blidworth ABC, before a narrow loss.

Louis Clark produced the best display of his boxing career against Ethan Morledge, of Aldercar And Langley Mill.

He used some really slick movement and counter punches to frustrate his more experienced opponent.

After three closely fought rounds, the Newark camp thought Louis would get his hand raised but the decision went the other way

Back as a senior after a short career as a junior amateur boxer, Luke Baker took it to his heavier and taller opponent Artur Tomasevic from Peterborough Police BC.

In spite of nearly 6kg difference between them, Luke looked the part as he landed some good body and head shots but, after a close first round, an explosive exchange of punches and an unfortunate clash of heads caused a cut.

Although the Newark corner was ready to treat it, the decision was taken out of their hands and, with only five seconds to go in round two, after advice from the ringside doctor on the cut the referee stopped the contest.

The frustrations continued for Newark as Jade Grierson took on Storm Steele, of Spire Boxing Academy, for the vacant East Midlands 69-75kg Challenge Belt.

Grierson, who went up a weight, boxed to Steele’s strengths at times, choosing to fight rather than box.

After a slow first round, Grierson took control in the second and third but, to the disappointment of the crowd, the MC announced a split decision at the final bell, with two judges giving the first two rounds to Steele.

Sugden said: “Jade has been away from combat sports for nine years and, since her return, we have put her in with some of the best boxers in the country.

“Although she is still not performing to her best, she is improving with every fight and is definitely not one to shy away from a challenge.

“I am confident she has what it takes to go to the very top in women’s boxing.”


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More