Home   Sport   Article

Collingham cause upset in chaotic cup win over Holy Trinity in the Willie Hall Memorial Trophy

By Connor Thompson

EXTRA-TIME was needed to separate Holy Trinity and Collingham in the Willie Hall Memorial Trophy, as tempers flared in a six-goal thriller.

The First Division side, Collingham, came out on top as they won 4-2, having gone in 2-2 after 90 minutes.

Jason Thurbly and Liam Moran were the goalscorers for Trinity as they both hit second-half goals to take the game into extra-time.

Holy Trinity V Collingham, Coronation Street..Collingham Midfielder, Sam Cobb atempts to press through Holy Trinity.. (5608089)
Holy Trinity V Collingham, Coronation Street..Collingham Midfielder, Sam Cobb atempts to press through Holy Trinity.. (5608089)

James Evans, Thomas Mallinson, Axl Rice and Jack Town were the goalscorers for the victors.

Collingham, who had a man sent-off in 90 minutes, now face Farnsfield Villa FAR in the second round.

Walesby travelled to Grantham without five key players.

But, despite their absences, they came away with three points following a 3-2 win over FC Genes.

In the only Premier Division fixture, Richard Willatt was once again at the centre of Walesby’s attack and the division’s second top goalscorer forced an own goal, having fired the ball into the box.

Genes replied through a penalty, after Wesley Kitchen was judged to have followed through in his tackle.

After going 2-1 up through Mitchell Lee’s half-volley, the striker fired his second of the game from close range to put Walesby two goals to the good.

The goal came from Wesley Kitchen’s cross as Richard Lenton created chaos in the box as he went up for an over-head kick, before the ball fell to Lee.

But at 3-1, late drama followed as Genes cut the lead back To one goal and then found the back of the net again, only for the offside flag to be raised.

Lee hit his hat-trick goal, but again, the offside flag was raised as the scoreline somehow remained 3-2.

Barkestone-le-Vale ran out 3-1 winners against Newark Flowserve in the Sam Arnold Memorial Trophy.

Tyler Martin was Flowserve’s goal scorer as his side went 2-1 down in the first-half.

A brace from Samuel Garner and a solo strike from Cole Maule handed Barkestone three points in their league cup group game.

Newark Town, without a league fixture since their 1-0 win over RHP on November 4, continued their county cup run as they stormed to a 5-1 win over A B P First.

The win at Devon Park saw Town move into the final four of the Nottinghamshire Senior Trophy.

Tricky winger Tom Perkins, who missed Town’s FA Cup fixture, returned to the starting 11 and made an instant impact as he hit a hat-trick.

Daryl Price was also among the goals as he continued his hot streak, firing two past the Nottingham outfit.

Price now has 12 goal in seven matches for the Blues.

Newark Flowserve Reserves and RHP’s Willie Hall fixture was postponed and a re-scheduled date is yet to be announced.

Rangers up to second

DAMIAN GACKI scored a hat-trick and moved to second in the top scorers chart as East Bridgford Rangers beat Witham Wanderers 6-1

Witham, who have now dropped to fourth, occupied second spot before kick-off, but East Bridgford’s win saw the sides swap league positions.

A competitive tie was played out in the first-half as East Bridgford went into half-time 2-1 up.

But the Nottinghamshire side ran riot in the second period and goals from George Ryan, Bassi Okon and Gacki ensured the victory.

Penalty miss sees league leaders Bleasby end winning streak

A FOUR MATCH winning run came to an end in Division Two as RHP Reserves beat Bleasby 2-1 at the Arthur Radford Ground.

Despite the loss, Bleasby remain top of the league because Rose And Crown were inactive.

However, Rose now have three games in hand on their title rivals, and just one point separates the top two.

For RHP, November has been a month of ups and downs.

It has seen them lose to the league’s bottom-placed side, Team Knowhow, but also beat the leaders.

Sunday’s win stemmed from a strong start, which saw first-half goals from Dan Willis and Callum Chivers as RHP went in to half-time 2-0 up.

Bleasby pulled one back in the second-half through Jordan Barnes, who was set up by Rich Hichens.

With just two minutes to play, Bleasby were awarded a penalty.

However, it was not converted and with that the home sides unbeaten run was over.

Laxton Athletic returned to league action for the first time since October 14 and continued their good form with a 3-1 win over Fernwood.

After a bright start, Fernwood took the lead in the 11th minute through Harry Norton following a run of consecutive corners.

Having taken the lead, Fernwood were pinned into their own half and struggled to get their foot on the ball.

Laxton equalised towards the end of the half as Anthony Davies cut inside from the edge of the box and curled a left footed effort into the top left corner.

The second-half followed the pattern of the first as Laxton continued to dominate, but they had to wait until the 75th minute to get their breakthrough goal as the visitors tired.

Having fallen behind, Fernwood’s heads dropped and Will Smith hit Laxton’s third after two good saves from Jack Woodcock.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More