Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Confidence high for road games


Newark Rugby Club start out on two away games tomorrow in a confident mood after impressively defeating county rivals Paviors 22-7 last weekend at Kelham Road.

Victory by three tries to one was reward for a Newark performance in which the team’s greater pace was a significant factor.

Next for Ed Collishaw’s team are games at Derby tomorrow and a week tomorrow at Wellingborough, both struggling at the foot of Midlands Two East.

Newark have established a mid-table position after officially winning three games from five.

They are a game behind their rivals after the league’s decision to order a replay of the win over Ampthill because it finished with uncontested scrums.

A date for that match has still to be finalised because of an appeal.

For Newark, victory over Paviors avenged the loss in the Notts Cup final at the end of last season.

This time Newark did not fade in the second half and were helped by the welcome return of Aloesi Waqalevu after a troublesome ankle injury.

Waqalevu struck after half-time when he raced on to a chip ahead by David Fagan, who had started at outside-half in the absence of Michael Dobson.

The young number ten had the final word when he dropped a goal in injury time to conclude a match in which Newark were always ahead, having taken the lead early on through flanker Charlie Claydon.

Some good support play, which was a feature of Newark’s play, brought Claydon a try that was converted by Danny Coen.

Newark still turned round 7-7 after losing their way in the first half. They were not helped by having Lewis Cove, a key figure in the forwards, sin-binned.

Once Cove returned Newark built further pressure and enjoyed the advantage of the elements in the second half.

The pressure eventually brought its reward when Alex Moore, making his home league debut, scored the second try that Coen converted.

Newark made the game safe when Waqalevu escaped on the left.

To finish, Fagan dropped a goal in a finale that included a brawl that saw Matt Brewer yellow carded.

Paviors 2nds 29 - Newark 2nds 30

Two tries in quick succession from wing Russell Westcott helped Newark take a commanding lead in this Pennant match at Burntstump.

Westcott touched down twice in the same corner as Newark scored four tries to lead 23-3 early in the second half.

However, thoughts of an easy victory proved misplaced. Paviors came back and it needed a late try from Sam Sibilski to settle the issue.

Earlier, besides the pace of Westcott, Newark had scored through prop Rob Dunning and Mark Miller, who also kicked a penalty goal and converted Sibilski’s try.

Newark 3rds 70 - Newark 3rds 8

A hat-trick of tries from number eight Daley Edwards and a faultless kicking display by centre Dan Harrison kept Newark clocking up the points in this Pennant match.

Harrison converted all ten tries.

Other tries came from centre Steve Hodges (2) prop Jason Henfrey, centre Jim McEwen, wing Toby Edlin, prop Craig Barnsdale and scrum-half Ben Ennals.

Retford 16 - Newark 4ths 5

A second-half try from Chris Wildgust failed to give Newark the advantage in a contest that failed to produce a point in the first half.

The centre broke away from a ruck to score but the home team stayed ahead.

Ashfield1sts 12 - Southwell 1sts 32

Southwell 1st XV travelled to bottom club Ashfield for a double-pointer with the Redmen still searching for their first league win of the season.

Although far from a vintage display, the Redmen did enough to secure the win and the points with a workman-like performance.

Southwell took the game to the home side from the start and, with outside-half Paul Rich in fine form with the boot, the pressure was rewarded with a try from back row George Machin.

Fullback Sam Fenton capitalised on some good ground made by the backs to score, which was added to by returning winger Adam Madeley.

Centre James Morgan-Burley scored a typically well-worked try after the back row combination of Machin and Adam Crabtree opened some space.

With Rich kicking three conversions and a penalty the Redmen ended the half 29-0 up.

Ashfield are not known for surrendering and came back strongly after the break, taking several scoring opportunities to end the match 32-12.

Southwell 2nds 65 - Ashfield 2nds 0

Southwell 2nd XV enjoyed an 11-try haul at home.

The Reapers played into the strong wind in the first half and were often left frustrated.

The scoring began early with a well-worked line out move that saw Tolly Roberts score the opening try.

Centre Ash Robertshaw bulldozed his way across the line to score before winger Liam Rockley added a third try, converted by new player and man-of-the-match Joe Parr.

Changes were made at half-time to ensure all players got a game and the Reapers began to tear the visitors apart with Richard Wagstaff breaking through to score two tries.

Centre Ollie Collingham added two further tries before winger Joe Creed capped another fine game with a try.

Flanker Toby Shearwood scored with a well-taken try and Parr added a further four conversions to his haul in addition to his two tries to finish the game 65-0.

Southwell 3rd XV were left frustrated as opposition Medan Vale 2nd XV did not arrive for their scheduled league match.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More