Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Mixed fortunes at Newark Rugby Club as 1sts lose at West Bridgford while 2nds defeat Derby

Newark Rugby Club had a weekend of mixed results in league action for their senior first and second teams.

While the 1sts were bulldozed into a 54-0 defeat at West Bridgford on Friday evening, the 2nds restored confidence by beating Derby 2nds in an exciting encounter at Kelham Road on Saturday afternoon.

The 2nds led 24-0 at half-time but had to fight out a tense finish as a Derby comeback made the final score 32-29.

Ollerton Rugby 1sts scorers Scott Whitworth and Jonny Brannan.
Ollerton Rugby 1sts scorers Scott Whitworth and Jonny Brannan.

It was the 2nds’ first league win of the new season since they were promoted up the ladder bringing fixtures against some first and stronger second teams.

The traditionally strong Derby 2nds found the speed of Newark too much in a first-half, which brought five tries to the home team – two each from backs Scott Edmed and newcomer Will Hickton plus one from Toby Taylor.

Derby fought back after the interval and Newark needed a penalty from Rhys Overland and a second try from Hickton to keep ahead. Overland converted the final try plus two others in the first half.

In contrast, Newark 1sts had a tough trip on Friday evening to play West Bridgford under new floodlights.

After missing an early penalty, Newark were on the backfoot and struggled against a bigger and determined home pack.

Both Newark 1sts and 2nds do not play this coming weekend (Oct 7) as there are no league games planned.

The 1sts return to league action on Saturday week (October 14) at home to Matlock, kick off 3pm. The 2nds are at Casuals in Nottingham on the same day.

The Colts, who beat Spalding on Friday evening, are scheduled to travel to Doncaster on Sunday for a second-round tie in the National Colts Cup, kick off 1.3opm.

Ollerton played host to Dronfield 2nds in the league and won 27-26.

In a great game of rugby, Ollerton just had the edge, scoring four tries to Dronfield’s three.

Fly-half Scott Whitworth slotted home a difficult penalty at the last play to win the game.

Ollerton’s try scorers were captain Liam Tebbet leading from the front, lock Lee Dentith and flying Winger Jonny Brannan, who scored two.

Scott Whitworth struck two conversions.

In reply, Dronfield scored three tries, a conversion, and three penalties.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More