Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Newark Town lose in the FA Vase to Lincoln United after a penalty shoot-out

Newark Town suffered penalty shoot-out heartache as they valiantly bowed out of the FA Vase on Saturday.

The Blues were beaten 7-6 on penalties by higher level Lincoln United after the match had finished 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes.

Lewis Chambers had given Town the lead before Toby Liversidge levelled the second qualifying round clash with just five minutes remaining.

LEWIS CHAMBERS had given Newark the lead.
LEWIS CHAMBERS had given Newark the lead.

The United Counties League Premier Division North side then held their nerve in a sudden death shoot-out to set up a home tie with Bugbrooke St Michaels in the next round.

Newark had created the best opening of the first half exchanges with Sam Wright being denied by a fine save from Lincoln goalkeeper Jack Steggles.

Town custodian Bartosz Berezowski then did well late in the half to keep out a header from Elliott Dye to ensure the sides went into the interval on level terms.

Lincoln did have an effort ruled out for offside early in the second half before Town took a 68th minute lead as a ball over the top set Chambers free and he fired home the opening goal.

Both sides continued to create chances with Lincoln netting the all-important equaliser through Liversidge.

Berezowski then produced a superb fingertip save deep into injury time to take the tie to penalties.

Chambers gave Newark the early initiative but Matt Cotton converted Lincoln's first spot kick to level it up again.

Jamie Lloyd put Newark back in front with Jack McMenemy then successful from the spot for the Whites.

Each team converted their third spot kick before Newark's fourth penalty was hit over the crossbar with Liversidge scoring to give Lincoln the advantage.

Newark netted their fifth penalty and then Berezowski saved from Leo Priestley to take the match into sudden death.

Both sides hit the crossbar with their sixth penalties of the shoot-out and then matched each other with successful spot kick to leave the tie still finely poised at 5-5.

Newark made it 6-5 but Lincoln also scored with Steggles then saving the next spot kick with the United goalkeeper then taking the responsibility to score the match-winning penalty and end an epic shoot-out.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More