Chad '2 Slick' Sugden entered 2019 off the back of a fourth-round knockout win against Taha Mirhosseni
CHAD ‘2 SLICK’ SUGDEN stole the show as he added another victory to his record with an emphatic fourth-round technical knockout win at the Bescot Stadium, Walsall.
Appearing on the card of Jingle Brawls, the Suggy’s Gym 24-year old was up against an unpredictable opponent in Taha Mirhosseni, who had previously knocked out unbeaten cruiserweight Matthew Sennett.
But the Newark light heavyweight was in fine form, and finished the fight in the fourth round.
Finding his range early on, in what was scheduled to be a six-round contest, Sugden came out quickly and piled on the pressure as he knocked Mirhosseni down twice in the second round, both with right-handed shots.
His opponent, from Iran, never gave in, but this worked against him.
Having been knocked down twice, Mirhosseni was saved by the bell at the end of the second.
The third saw a much more reserved tactic from Sugden as he was calm and patient while picking his shots.
With another fight on the cards in the next few weeks, Mirhosenni clearly wanted to make it to the bell at the end of the scheduled six rounds.
But, in the fourth, Sugden landed heavy shots, which saw his opponents drop to floor, not once, but twice, before the referee intervened and stopped the contest.
The win was Sugden’s ninth, and leaves him with a record of 9-1-0.
Among those congratulating Sugden on his win was John Costello, trainer of WBA world super middleweight challenger Jamie Cox.
“I’ve seen Taha (Mirhosenni) beaten, but never have I seen him get such a sustained beating,” said Costello.
“Chad was strong and dominant throughout. His shot selection, patience and movement were spot on.”
Head coach of Suggy’s Gym, Dean Sugden, said it was Chad’s best performance as a professional.
“We were all buzzing to see how happy he is to be back doing what he does so well,” said Dean.
“I can’t wait to see him in the ring again for his first title shot.
“There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s ready to step up to ten rounds for it.
“Now all we need is someone out there who’s ready to take up the challenge.”
Chad Sugden also spoke of his next fight after thanking the supporters for making the trip to Walsall.
He said:“As always, we had the biggest and best support in the crowd, with over 100 people making the trip,
“We’ve thrown down the gauntlet, offering light heavyweights out there the opportunity to take me on for the vacant Midlands title.
“I don’t care who my opponent is, I’m ready for anyone who’s prepared to step up.
“I’m going to do it the old school way, working up from the Midlands title to the English, British and European all the way to the World.”
Sugden’s next challenge sees him return to local surroundings as he fights at the Nottingham Harvey Hadden Sports Village on Saturday, March 16.
His opponent is yet to be announced.