Home   Sport   Article

Shakan Pitters issues message to Newark's Chad Sugden ahead of British title fight live on Channel 5




Chad Sugden’s latest opponent has claimed training in lockdown has made him more hungry ahead of their British title fight next month.

The undefeated Shakan Pitters, from Birmingham, has been self-training in isolation, and has told fight fans he is determined to take the vacant British light-heavyweight title.

Chad Sugden, of Newark, says he’ll break Shakan Pitters (left) in half with body shots when they clash on Saturday, March 28. (30927297)
Chad Sugden, of Newark, says he’ll break Shakan Pitters (left) in half with body shots when they clash on Saturday, March 28. (30927297)

The 30-year-old said: “This has been a long time coming and every day that’s gone by in lockdown I’ve been getting more and more hungry, determined and focused on beating Sugden and claiming the British title.

“It was very frustrating when the show was cancelled just one week before, but I understood the bigger picture as the pandemic is a global crisis and the lives that had been lost in the UK alone was frightening. I commend the front-line workers who kept working throughout.

“I just had to be patient and keep training in the background.”

The card, which is to be aired for free on Channel 5 on Saturday, August 22, features five fights — headlined by the Pitters-Sugden bout.

The comeback of Brixton cruiserweight title contender Isaac Chamberlain will also feature alongside the likes of Birmingham super-welterweight and Love Island star Idris Virgo, fast-rising Sevenoaks middleweight prospect Michael Hennessy Jr and a further area championship title fight, which is still to be confirmed.

Promoter Mick Hennessy said: “It’s been extremely tough for everyone throughout the country these past few months, but key and front-line workers have kept us safe and going through these hard times and with the vast majority of the public adhering to the lockdown rules we’re now starting to come through, but there’s still a long way to go and we must be vigilant.

“With live sport on TV starting to return after months off-air, I’m delighted to finally bring boxing back with a bang on free-to-air TV screens on Channel 5 and what a fight to return with between Shakan and Chad and the prestigious British title on the line.

“We have worked step-by-step with the BBBofC and followed the government guidelines to ensure the safety of everyone involved with the event, but sadly, though, we are unable to allow fans into the venue at this present time.”


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More