Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Newark Rugby Club suffer a narrow loss against Melbourne in the Regional Two North Midlands rugby competition

It was a narrow defeat for Newark on the road as they travelled to Melbourne, South Derbyshire.

The 32-25 loss saw Newark gain a losing bonus point from an entertaining match against Derbyshire rivals.

Melbourne kicked off with Newark playing up the slope and against the wind.

Melbourne applied the pressure on Newark who conceded a number of penalties.

Within minutes the home side scored their first try after a quickly-taken penalty near the Newark line.

The conversion made the score 7-0.

However, undaunted, Newark fought back and persistent work by Ovi Glider down the left set up a chance for James Brogden to cross for the try.

It was converted by James Tarbatt to equalise the scores.

Unfortunately, the comeback was short-lived and a penalty conceded in midfield gave the Melbourne kicker the opportunity to add three points.

Things became worse shortly afterwards when Melbourne pressured Newark close to their line and were able to score under the posts after a large gap opened up in the Blues defence.

The score moved to 17-7 but Newark closed the difference by kicking a penalty of their own.

Newark then fashioned one of the best tries of the game when Will Britten kicked out of defence and the ball was caught by Noah Catley, making his full debut on the wing.

The ball was recycled as Melbourne fought back but excellent handling saw Catley manage to get over the line.

The try was converted and the game was even at 17-17.

In the last minute of injury time, Melbourne struck back with a score in the left corner to lead 22-17 going into the interval.

Melbourne led 22-17 at half-time and extended that advantage to 32-17 before a late flurry from Newark earned that bonus point for losing by seven or fewer points.

Catley crossed again in the second-half and over the course of the game scrum-half James Tarbett kicked two conversions and two penalty goals.

During the second-half Melbourne started to impose their physical superiority despite energetic defence from Newark.

The game was in the final few minutes of injury time when it was brought to a premature end by an injury to Oli Dodders which required the attendance of an ambulance.

Dodders was attended to and is now at home recovering after a scan at hospital.

Newark will now take on Paviors this Saturday at home where free admission will be on offer, (kick-off 3pm).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More