Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Newark Rugby Club 2nd's earn promotion after winning league with 48-5 victory over Worksop

Newark Rugby Club’s 2nds will be playing in the eighth tier of English rugby next season after securing the league title with a game to spare with an overwhelming 48-5 victory at Worksop.

It was an impressive display against a typically aggressive and stubborn North Notts side that saw several shining individual performances on offer from Newark.

Student Alex Tuscher got on the board twice and had an outstanding match.

The Newark 2nd team has secured promotion.
The Newark 2nd team has secured promotion.

He continued to give chase and try to extend the lead further even after it was evident the side had won.

The opening try went to Worksop thanks to their fly-half Kiel Billam, who has proved all season that he can cause problems for the Newark defence.

Billam crossed over first and the home side breathed a sigh of relief to get the first points on the board.

However, it was all downhill from there as Newark dominated the exchanges and remained composed during some scrappy periods of rugby.

Soon after, skipper Ben Wells powered his way over for his fly-half George Leeson converted.

Veteran Ian Tominson crossed over for a try for Newark as the visitors went into half-time up 12-5 and Worksop was still clearly in the game.

After the break, Robbie Hunter-Shaw received a quick penalty from Rhys Overland and capitalising on the opportunity, went over near the corner.

Tuscher scored his first and unbeknown to him, the league title when he crossed over for the try as Newark’s big points difference clinched the league as the side made it 33-5.

A well-timed pass from Toby Taylor created a try for the speedy Johno Armstrong, who had come on as a replacement for the injured Ollie Gelsthorpe

Sean Denning on return from injury then stepped inside and gave a sweet, no-look pass to Leeson who went over near the posts for Newark’s next score.

Tuscher added his second following a line-out before Matt Christian used his strength to barrel over the line with at least two defenders failing to hold him back.

Hunter-Shaw wrapped up the scoring when a slick move down the backs found the full-back joining the line at pace.

The victory capped off a great season for the Newark 2nds.

A veteran’s game that saw Ollerton play Southwell saw the Southwell 3rds, The Bandits, narrowly lose 53-52 in the high-scoring thriller.

The Bandits team consisted of players that when their ages were added up came to 702 years.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More