Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Thommos tome on historic day


Back in May the Newark Rugby Club Under-17s created club history when they became the first club side to win a national competition.

The side struck a mighty blow for the Kelham Road club when they won the plate section of the national championship by beating Richmond 25-17 in the final at Worcester. The victory capped a journey that took in victories over Bromsgrove, Earlsdon, Ampthill and Otley.

Former club president Barry Thompson, who says that if he gets a cut he bleeds blue and white, was so moved by the occasion that he put pen to paper and wrote the following, called “What A Day.”

National finals day is here, you should feel the atmosphere,

Early morning our 17s muster, for they must make their way to Worcester.

First Butcher’s breakfast there to scoff, parents and friends to see them off,

Silence for the last haranguing, then clapping hands and tables banging,

The mini kids and Mums and Dads, gave their best wishes to the lads.

It’s mighty Richmond they must face, that’s all that’s left in this title race,

They’ll leave London for this crown and will ask: “Where is this Newark town?”

Despite their classy number, they won’t be asking that again.

Fagan, Tatham, Mullally and Fuchs, all dressed up like Royal Dukes,

Brief the driver on the way and nurture the lads for their big day.

Mums and dads, girlfriends and mates, cheer the bus as it leaves the gates.

For they are off to Worcester too, to cheer the lads in the white and blue.

As they arrive at the Premiership ground, “Come on Newark” is the sound.

No, not coming from the heavens, but from our squad of under-11s,

All dressed up in Newark gear, no doubt gave out the loudest cheer.

The president, life members too, were there to witness this great coup.

Among the many Newark supporters were grandads and of course grand-daughters,

And the most amazing clown, representing Newark town.

So kick-off time approaches, final words from all the coaches,

Richmond emerge in their fine array, followed by Newark on their big day.

With nervous heads and shaking joints, they go ahead with three penalty points,

Then like bolts from out the skies, Richmond scored a couple of tries.

Add conversions and a penalty, our lads were down 17 to three.

Then, just before half-time arrived, our pack surged forward and one lad dived,

We were on the road again, we’d got it back to 17-10.

Half-time talk: “Come on you men, we have to crack their number ten’

“Back row, put that man on the ground and we can turn this game around.”

The second half was so intense, the Richmond attack it was immense,

But our boys were brilliant in defence.

Back they went to no avail, down the other end the ball did sail.

With simple rugby and true grit, our boys had got their hands on it.

The supporters screeched for what they’d seen, had taken our points to 15.

The game was furious, to and fro, then with about 15 minutes to go,

A penalty, now what’s the choice, skipper thought line-out but the coach’s voice,

Said: “Kick the goal and take the lead,” and that was good advice to heed.

The Richmond heads went down to find, that they were now a point behind,

Determined to get their lead back, they put in attack, attack, attack.

As the time went by they felt the shock, and all eyes were on the scoreboard clock,

They attacked again and then a clearance kick and one of those bounces did the trick.

Into our seven’s trusty hands, with noise erupting from the stands,

He took the ball and ran with pace, under the posts, we’d won the race.

The Richmond coach shook hands, he knew, before the final whistle blew,

For his brave boys it was too late, Newark had won the national plate.

It was an excellent contest, of all the finals it was the best,

Supporters smiling, voices hoarse and celebrations now of course.

The Richmond lads they took it well, but there’s one thing that I will tell.

From the moment that their heads went down, they will remember Newark town.

Despite the NLD hiccup, the boys knew they weren’t in the cup, but they took part with their heads up.

One small reminder too, the game was won by 22,

But all the other boys were there and rightly in the joy did share,

Despite out injured or not selected, not one of them appeared dejected,

The whole squad took part in this long story, and everyone did share the glory.

Coaches’ glazed eyes, they now believed, what Newark lads that day achieved.

With advice from boring alikadoos: “Don’t celebrate with too much booze,”

But come home safe on 6th of May, for you made history that day.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More