What the government's third national lockdown means for sport in Newark and Sherwood
Grassroots sport will be postponed after the country entered its third national lockdown.
It means all sport in the Newark and Sherwood district, which isn’t played at an elite level, will be sidelined.
The tier system had already led to the suspension of football and hockey, two of the surviving team sports, while the latest lockdown — imposed on Tuesday — saw the likes of tennis and golf follow.
Golf’s governing body strongly campaigned for the reopening of courses when they were closed back in March 2020.
A spokesman for that governing body said: “England Golf, as part of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Golf along with other leading industry bodies, is extremely disappointed with the news, having made a strong case in recent months to keep golf open during the national lockdowns and in the regional tier system.
“It is with great regret that we share this news with you, but please be assured that we will continue to make the case for golf to reopen whenever possible.”
The Lawn Tennis Association also highlighted its issues.
“Tennis is a naturally socially-distanced sport that is safe to play and gives people the opportunity to get outside and exercise with a friend or relative,” a spokesman said.
Elite sportspeople and their coaches, such as Newark pairing David Avanesyan and trainer Carl Greaves will still be able to compete and train.
Organised outdoor sport for disabled people is also able to continue.
Included on the exempt list were elite sports with established covid-19 protocols and ‘elite sportspeople — and their coaches if necessary, or parents/guardians if they are under 18 — or those on an official elite sports pathway’.
Among those allowed to compete, the British Horseracing Authority confirmed racing would continue behind closed doors — meaning Southwell Racecourse fixtures can still go ahead.
“Attendance will be limited to those essential to the staging of fixtures and strict adherence to British racing’s covid-19 protocols will continue to be required for all who attend,” a spokesman said.