Home   Sport   Article

Newark Alliance weekly round-up

By Connor Thompson

Willatt hits hat-trick in second-half comeback

Richard Willatt hit four to inspire Walesby to a 5-3 win over Holy Trinity in the Premier Division.

The comeback moved Walesby up two league place and past their weekend opponents.

Home side Trinity, undefeated in the two previous league games prior to kick-off, started well.

Liam Moran (centre) of Holy Trinity bursts away from the attentions of Walesby's Charlie Wormald (on the ground) and Mitch Lee. (4688166)
Liam Moran (centre) of Holy Trinity bursts away from the attentions of Walesby's Charlie Wormald (on the ground) and Mitch Lee. (4688166)

Jason Thurlby’s free-kick from the edge of the box fired the home side ahead in what was a comfortable opening 15 minutes for Trinity.

Ben Ginelly doubled Trinity’s league as he reacted the quickest from Thurlby’s saved free-kick effort and tapped in the rebound.

Mid-way through the first-half, Walesby found a way back into the game through Willatt’s strike, the first of his four.

The visitors levelled through Brandon Lee headed effort, the striker was unmarked at the back post.

However, Lee’s goal did not dampen the spirits of the Trinity players as a brilliant team goal saw them take a 3-2 lead into half-time.

The goal came from Ginelly, who latched on to the end of Adam Kettleborough’s stunning through-ball, before hitting a looping chipped volley.

His strike somehow made its way under the cross-bar and killed Walesby’s first-half comeback.

Adam Kettleborough in action for Holy Trinity (green and white). (4688161)
Adam Kettleborough in action for Holy Trinity (green and white). (4688161)

Despite taking a lead into the second-half, Trinity looked zapped of energy and their cutting edge in the final third was lacklustre.

After Trinity cheaply gave away possession, Walesby attacked down the left hand side and levelled through Willatt’s header.

Willatt then fired his side into the lead with his hat-trick goal, again dispatching a cross that came from the left hand side.

Trinity continued to attack dangerously through Liam Moran, Ginelly and Thurlby, but failed to find an equaliser.

With under ten minutes to play, Willatt added his fourth and final goal, to give his side a comfortable two-goal lead.

Walesby profited from sloppy play by the Trinity right midfielder and Willatt made no mistake in the one-on-one situation as his tidy finish flew past the Trinity keeper.

Shane Tetley of Holy Trinity (centre) is muscled off the ball by Rich Willet and Jake Smith (right) of Walesby.. (4688165)
Shane Tetley of Holy Trinity (centre) is muscled off the ball by Rich Willet and Jake Smith (right) of Walesby.. (4688165)

FC Genes drew 4-4 with Newark Flowserve in an eight-goal thriller.

A spirited fightback from the Genes was not enough as the Grantham side were punished by a late Flowserve equaliser.

After winning the Grantham Sunday league Premier Division last season, Genes have struggled to compete with the pace set by RHP and Newark Town who sit first and second, respectively.

Flowserve took the lead through Curtis Price, the midfielder firing Grant Reed’s cross into the bottom right hand corner.

Jason Pride doubled Flowserve lead, but this was to be the turning point in the game as Genes fought back and scored four.

Centre defender Jack Stafford netted the first, converting a penalty.

The equaliser was hit by attacking midfielder Ste Petrou, before Stafford netted his second and Genes’ third.

Genes were award their second penalty of the game mid-way through the second-half and it was the same result as the captain, Stafford, slotted his hat-trick goal past the rooted Flowserve keeper.

However, the day of comebacks continued and Flowserve started their fight-back through substitute Tom Potts, who pulled the Highwaymen within one goal of Genes.

With a late comeback on the cards, clever work from Flowserve goal-scorer Pride led to Potts netting the equaliser.

Pride somehow managed to whip a low cross along the box and Potts slid in to snatch a point at the death.

Despite earning a draw, Flowserve remain in eight place.

Top of the table stand-off

East Bridgford Rangers drew 1-1 with Collingham as first met second in the fifth round of Division One matches.

Bassi Okon fired Rangers ahead in the first-half as the hosts continued their record of scoring first in every match.

However, Collingham, who are second only on goal difference, equalised through second-half substitute Dominic Walters.

Robin Hood Colts lost 4-0 at home to Grove First, who have now moved into fourth place.

Oliver Gee fired Grove to a first-half lead before Jack Salmon and substitutes Tommy Dowd and Gavin James put the game out of reach.

Derek Quick and Stephen Lester both bagged braces as their side, Farnsfield Villa, beat Old Magnusians 6-2.

Oliver Watson and Nick Westerman also scored for Villa.

Greaves’ late winner takes Bleasby top of Division Two

William Greaves’ late second-half goal moved Bleasby top as his side beat Division Two bottom side Team Knowhow 1-0.

Bleasby were second before kick-off and a fixture against a struggling Knowhow seemed like a formality.

However, the winless Knowhow limited the hosts to half chances, before conceding a late goal in an unfortunate manor.

A long ball over the top left the visiting keeper and centre backs in a mix up as the two came together in their attempts to clear the ball.

Greaves, who managed to stay on his feet as all three players collided, was left with the ball and an empty net.

The midfielder made no mistake from five-yards out, and moved his side top.

Gavin Billings’ last-minute half-volley against Sutton-on-Trent earned Laxton Athletic their second win of the season as they moved up for fourth.

Laxton, who beat Holy Trinity Reserves 5-0 last time out continued their good form with a 2-1 win.

Sutton’s failure to take anything out of the game means they drop to fifth ahead of next week’s fixture against top side Bleasby.

Laxton started the game well and it did not take long for the hosts to show their dominance as Will Smith fired them ahead in the fifth minute.

After winning a corner, Smith made a nuisance of himself in the box and flicked the ball in at the near post with the outside of his boot.

Sutton equalised in the 50th minute and with a draw seeming the likely result, the ball dropped to centre back Billings on the edge of the six-yard box, who fired home to secure the three points for the hosts.

Fernwood got their first win of the season with an emphatic 8-2 win over Newark Cavaliers.

Tom Jordan clears the Fernwood lines.. (4688173)
Tom Jordan clears the Fernwood lines.. (4688173)

Man-of-the-match George Burgess opened the scoring in the seventh minute for Fernwood, as he tapped in Todd Nichols’ deflected header.

Ryan Blankley netted his first goal of the season with an outside of the boot finish as Fernwood doubled the lead.

Burgess hit his second and third either side of half-time, the latter a brilliant solo goal that saw him dribble past three players before hitting it into the bottom corner.

At 4-0 down, Cavaliers threatened to comeback as two quick-fire goals from Michael Knott and Ashley Mersh took the lead back down to two.

However, right-back Chris Gallagher’s stunning 35 yard effort looped over the visiting keeper as Fernwood’s lead became comfortable again.

Half-time substitute Dan Smith then hit two well taken goals, before midfielder Connor Thompson rounded off the scoring with a side-footed effort.

Connor Thompson nets for Fernwood. (red and black stripes). (4688174)
Connor Thompson nets for Fernwood. (red and black stripes). (4688174)

A perfect hat-trick from Nathan Burrows inspired RHP Reserves to a 5-0 win over Holy Trinity Reserves.

Burrows managed a goal with his left and right foot, before nodding a header in, to complete a comfortable afternoon for the divisions third place side.

Stuart moody and Marcus Hallam netted the home sides other two.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More