Southwell Music Festival to return this August after enforced coronavirus break
The organisers of Southwell Music Festival have confirmed that this year’s event will go ahead.
It follows the lifting of coronavirus restrictions, after being cancelled last year.
The festival will return with a programme of classical and choral music due at venues in Southwell from Wednesday, August 25, to Monday, August 30.
“We are delighted to announce that the 2021 Southwell Music Festival will go ahead in August,” said artistic director Marcus Farnsworth.
“The festival will welcome world class instrumentalists and singers to Southwell after what has felt like a very long wait.
“After the recent government announcements, it looks hopeful that we will be in a very different place in August to where we are now, and we will be monitoring the national situation closely to ensure we can present a festival that is stimulating, uplifting, and also safe for both audiences and performers.
“Our Festival Friends have been tremendously supportive in helping us survive the pandemic.
“Our 2021 Friends scheme will launch in March and we hope you will consider joining us.
“Your support will help us ensure a successful festival in 2021 and to secure the future of the organisation.”
The festival has been gaining a national reputation with fans of classical and choral music.
It attracts hundreds of people to the town over the five-day event, which features local and national performers. Previous performers have included cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason.
Although the festival focus is on Southwell Minister, performances take place at venues across the town.
Marcus said: “With many concerts taking place in the fine surroundings and acoustics of Southwell Minster, it offers a memorable experience for seasoned concert-goers and a warm welcome to new audiences, with the programme also featuring a family concert and a variety of free fringe events.”
The full festival programme will be revealed at a launch event, due to take place on May 28.